If we defined Vocational education in a single word, it would be – “Earning while learning“.
Vocational Education is the new demand of the modern era. Keeping in view the importance of vocational education, it has also been included in the National Curriculum Framework 2005 (NCF 2005).
In other words, it can also be called ‘Practical education‘. Wood’s Dispatch was the person who suggested the provision of practical education to Indians in 1854 for the very first time.
At present, the same education is given the place of quality education which enables the students to earn a living. Kothari Commission 1964 made the first attempt to add vocational education in the field of education.
This commission suggested the government to commercialize secondary education.
What is Vocational Education, we get the detailed information regarding the purpose and specialty and its need in education, so let’s know about it.
Generally, connecting education with business is called vocational education, but in reality, its meaning is much wider than this.
It provides opportunities for the students to choose a profession and acquire vocational qualifications.
It was started by the suggestions of the National Commission on Education 1964-66. The basis on which the National Policy on Education 1986 gave its approval and it became a medium of instruction.
Recommended: Education Philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi
Based on this, the National Policy on Education 1986 has set a target to connect 25% of +2 students in vocational education by 1995. To expand vocational education, it was also included in distance education.
To provide vocational education to students in India, it was said that a council should be formed to plan the implementation and policy making of vocational education.
Recommended: What is Cold War, when did it start?
Keeping this in mind, the Joint Council for Vocational Education (JCVE) was established by the Central Government.
This council formulates the policy for the formulation of the vocational curriculum and gives approval to the schools for its implementation.
- It prepares the students to connect with the society and contribute in social work.
- It develops the propensity for vocational skills in the students to make them earn a living.
- Through this, students are kept active in schools and due to this their physical development takes place at a rapid pace.
- This makes them aware of their social and family responsibilities.
- The real objectives of education are embodied by vocational education.
Aims and objectives of Vocational Education
- It main aim is to give self-supporting knowledge to the students so that they can live their life with dignity.
- To encorage the craft-centric education in India
- To make the students vocational so that they can be able to live respectfully in the society.
- To develop the ability to earn a living in the students so that they can discharge their family obligations well.
- To develop the nation and provide right direction to social changes.
- To strengthen the national economic structure and increase per capita income.
- To promote the expansion of education.
Need and importance
The education system of a country plays a very crucial role in the development of that country, and if the main purpose of that education is to provide business to the students and make them earn a living, then the developmental opportunities of that country can be much more anticipated.
Recommended: CBSE: History, aims and objectives
Education can achieve its real objectives and goals only if that education is vocational education.
Keeping in view the declining quality of education at present, it is necessary that education should be completely converted into vocational education.
Gandhi’s views on vocational Education: According to Gandhiji the purpose of vocational education is to increase the quality of skill development in students so that they could become self-dependant and live life with dignity.
It is not only helpful in choosing a profession for the students but through it, the all-around development of the students is also envisaged.
Keeping in view the increasing population in the modern era, it is necessary that education should be made according to the students so that they can achieve their real objectives.
If you found this information useful please share it with your family and friends. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please let us know in the comment box.
Recommended: Retro Goal: How and where to play the game?