Psychology means the Science of Mind. The word Psychology is made up of two words of the English language Psycho+Logos. Psycho means ‘soul’ and ‘logos’ means study.
The study of the soul is psychology. The father of psychology is Sigmund Freud, he is also called the father of modern psychology.
In psychology, the behavior and mental activity of people, animals and birds are studied, so it becomes clear from this feature that psychology is directly related to the ‘brain’.
All the processes that come under mental activities such as sensation, attention, perception, learning, memory, thinking etc. are included in its study.
Today in this article, we will know the Psychology meaning, definition, types and its role in education.
Meaning of Psychology
In simple terms, Psychology means the “Science of Mind”. Many branches like child psychology work on the basis of these principles. In this, the analysis of the whole process under mental activities is done through the following medium.
1. Condolences – For example, when a girl saw her brother crying, she also started crying, that is, that girl felt the pain of her brother, it is all a feeling.
2. Attention – Meditation to do some work by concentrating the mind, for example, Ram played his game with full attention.
3. Perception – Perception means to make an assumption in oneself about anything – we tell the children that a cow has 4 legs, then all the animals that the child sees with 4 legs, start calling it cow i.e. children made this assumption.
4. Memory – The thing which we have learned earlier, when the time comes, it is the memory to remember it again.
5. Contemplation – means to think, for example, a teacher gave a problem to the student, in such a situation, the child makes every effort to overcome that problem, that is, he adopts every process so that the solution to that problem can be found.
Definition of Psychology
Psychology can be defined in the two ways given in below –
Woodworth: “The study of showing environmental relationships and actions of individuals.”
crow and crow: It is the study of the mutual behavior of individuals and their relationships.
From both definitions, it becomes clear that in this (Psychology) the mutual behavior of individuals, animals and birds and their actions are studied in detail by clarifying the purpose and goals.
Types of Psychology
Psychology is generally divided into 4 parts – Behavioral, Cognitive, Developmental and Educational Psychology.
- Behavioral – In this, the behavior of individuals, animals and birds is studied in detail and efforts are made to understand the actions done by them in various situations.
- Cognitive – In this the child’s memory, the area of learning (learning) is studied i.e. how a person understands a problem, how to find a solution and how long he remembers it or for how long he remembers it.
- Developmental – In this, the development of individuals, animals, and birds is studied, both in physical and mental form and if any problem arises in its physical, mental or maturation, an attempt is made to find a solution to the problem.
- Educational – It has a very important contribution to modern education because it is vital for a teacher to know the behavior of children for good learning because every child is different from the others. The nature of modern education is child-centered. Efforts are made to provide education to children according to their needs and for this, it is very important to use psychology in the field of education.
Five important facts of Psychology
- According to this, it takes 21 days for a person to make or give up any habit.
- A person has that power, by which he can guess the personality of a person just by looking at him.
- According to this, the person who speaks less and the person who likes black color is beautiful and intelligent.
- If a person remembers a person more than the limit, then that other person (whom he is remembering) also remembers him.
- According to this, drinking a glass of water before sleeping increases the chances of a person remembering his dreams.
Role of Psychology in Education
It is very important in the field of education because it works to make the teaching-learning process effective and helps the teacher to understand the behavior and needs of the students. That is why educational psychology is also included in the curriculum of teacher education.
It has found that it works to make learning easy and joyful, we can accept its role as follows –
Individual difference – We know that every person is different from another person, which implies, the physical or mental development of every person is different, for example, a teacher teaches children to add and subtract in mathematics, so a child learns quickly. While the other child spends a lot of time learning the same thing, that is, the teacher has to see how we can take both children along.
Curriculum – It also plays its own important role in curriculum formulation, whatever curriculum is being made, it is made keeping in mind the mental state of the children. For instance, there are students of class V, and class VI standards who all have the different-different cerebral capacity, therefore, the curriculum should be designed keeping in mind the mental level of both students.
Negative and Positive Reinforcement – It also helps the teacher in telling the children when and which reinforcement to give, for example, if a child is proving helpless in solving a problem, then we will not give him negative reinforcement but will motivate him because if we give negative reinforcement to that student then the child will think of himself as weak and later on this thinking will create problems for him in learning.
In simple words, we can see it as the science of mind because under it the mental activities of humans and animals, and birds are studied.
Importance of Psychology: By studying the science of mind, teachers can enhance the skills of the students to adjust to society. In view of the confused mood of modern society, its need is increasing continuously.
In this article, you have learned about what is psychology, its meaning, definition, types, and its role in education.
Now in the last words, we request you to share this post as much as possible so that they can also understand the importance of this episode and expand their knowledge.