DuckDuckGo is a US-based search engine primarily known for protecting privacy of the users. It doesn’t track your search history, so you can search with confidence knowing that your personal information is not being collected.
|Founded||September 25, 2008|
|Headquarters||Paoli, Pennsylvania, United States|
It also doesn’t show personalized results, so you’ll get the same results whether you’re logged in or not.
How is DuckDuckGo different from other search engines?
Most search engines, like Google and Bing, track your search history and use that data to personalize the ads you see. DuckDuckGo doesn’t do this.
In a recent interview, an official spokesperson from a search engine highlighted that: “We believe that your search history should be private. That’s why we don’t track you. We also believe that the best search experience is one without ads. That’s why we block them by default”.
Further, he added – If you want to support the search engine team and our mission of providing privacy-friendly search, you can turn off ad blocking in your settings.
The Search engine also has some great features that other search engines don’t have, like !bangs. With !bangs, you can type in an exclamation point followed by a keyword (like !amazon or !wikipedia) to instantly search on a site without having to go to that site first.
- Increased privacy: When you use it, your searches are not tracked or recorded. This means that you can search for whatever you want without worrying about your personal data being collected and used against you.
- Better search results: Because it doesn’t track your searches, it doesn’t personalize your results based on your search history. This means that you’re more likely to get unbiased and accurate results.
- No ads based on your search history: One of the most annoying things about using traditional search engines is the targeted ads that pop up based on your past searches. With it, you don’t have to worry about seeing these types of ads anymore.
- Less clutter: Another benefit of using this search engine is that it doesn’t include any extra clutter in your search results (like sponsored links). This makes it easier to find what you’re looking for without being bombarded with irrelevant information.
How to use it?
- Go to the search engine’s official website at https://duckduckgo.com/
- In the search bar, type in what you want to search for
- Press enter
- Scroll through the results that come up!
- Take advantage of its !bang feature. !bang allows you to search directly on a specific website. For example, if you want to search for a recipe on Allrecipes.com, you would type “!ar recipe”.
- Use DuckDuckGo’s keyboard shortcuts. For example, typing “? Cheesecake” will bring up the Cheesecake Wikipedia page.
- Enjoy its unique feature. For example, the !fathead command brings up information about a TV show or movie from Fathead.com.
Why is it bad?
There are many reasons why it is considered to be a bad search engine. One of the biggest reasons is that it doesn’t have nearly as many results as other major search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
This lack of results can make finding what you’re looking for much more difficult. Compared to top search engines like Google and Bing, the search results on DuckDuckGo are not organized very well in terms of the intention of the searchers.
While the search engine does not collect or share personal information like some other search engines do, it has been accused of not being completely transparent about how it uses data collected from users.
How to Download?
- Go to the App Store on your device
- Search for “DuckDuckGo” in the App Store
- Select “Install” next to the ‘DuckDuckGo Private Browser’ app icon
- Enter your password or use Touch ID if prompted
- Wait for the app to download and install
- Once the installation is complete, select “Open” or find the app on your home screen and launch it from there
DuckDuckGo browser download for pc
The browser is available for free! If you are using Chrome for browsing you can add the extension to your pc by adopting some simple steps given below.
DuckDuckGo for Chrome
- Go to the ‘DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials’ page here
- Click on the ‘add to Chrome’ button
- Now a Pop-up window will open on your screen, click on ‘add to Chrome’
- The extension will be downloaded and then added to your browser
The extension is available for both Chrome and Firefox. If you use another browser, check out our mobile apps.
Download for Android
It is available as a downloadable app for Android devices. The app can be found in the Google Play Store and is free to download.
Is it safer than Google?
The short answer is that it depends on what you are looking for. If you are simply looking for a basic search engine that does not track your personal information, then DuckDuckGo may be a better option.
However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive search engine that can provide personalized results based on your search history, then Google is a better option.
When it comes to privacy, DuckDuckGo does not store any personal information about its users. This means that your searches will not be tracked or monitored by the company.
In contrast, Google tracks your personal information in order to provide customized results and advertisements. While this may not be a concern for everyone, some people prefer to use a search engine that does not collect their data.
In terms of security, both search engines use SSL encryption to protect their users’ data. However, Google goes one step further by offering two-factor authentication for its accounts.
This means that even if someone manages to hack your password, they would still need access to your physical device in order to login to your account.
While DuckDuckGo does not offer two-factor authentication, it does have a feature called “Safe Search” which filters out potentially dangerous websites from your results.
Recommended for you: